Slider

How We...Pack School Lunches

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Linking up with Erika & Shay today for...

Today is all about how we or I pack school lunches.
Honestly, this is my first year doing it so I am kind of nervous.
I have lucked out for the last few years because X went to a preschool and enrichment program that supplied the lunch for him.

But after going through lots of lunch ideas on Pinterest with X,
I think we both have a good idea what we will be packing.

He loves fruits and veggies in raw form, so that part of his lunch thankfully is pretty easy.
The drink and main item are going to be the hardest things for us.
Honestly, I think I am just going to send a mini bottle of water every day in his lunch because that is the only thing he drinks besides the occasional white milk!

Main Dish Ideas

He loved the idea of Mini waffles or pancakes with a couple of sausage links.


X does not like most lunch meats (or sandwiches for that matter - just like his mommy), but he will eat ham!
When I showed him that we could roll some up with a tortilla he was all about it!

Turkey dogs and mini corn dogs are another food I know that X would eat if he saw them in his lunch.

I buy organic chicken nuggets that X loves, so they would be easy to toss in his lunch box and I know he would eat them.

He would seriously eat scrambled eggs every day if I made them, so he was all for putting them in his lunch here and there.

Anytime X gets to have pasta for a meal he is a happy camper!

He would eat everything in all of the photos above!
And if he is anything like me, he will eat the exact same things every few days ;)

Another thing that is nice when it comes to X eating is that he is not one that wants his food hot.
Most the time he waits until things are completely cold before he actually eats them.
So sending foods in his lunch box that might get cold shouldn't be a problem.

And here is the lunch box we decided to go with.




I love the idea that it folds flat.
But even better...the entire thing freezes!
That means if there is something I want to keep cold in X's lunch I don't need to send any additional ice packs!
Now I am sure you all probably know about these things, but since this is my first year packing lunches I was super excited to find this!
You can find it on Amazon or Target for about $20, and it comes in 9 other colors.
We went with black since it would go well with his new backpack he picked out, otherwise we would have grabbed the camo one shown in the video :)


So what do you pack in your kiddos lunches?
Do you they pack all the time or are they school lunch buyers?


Side note about me:
When I first started 1st grade I loved buying my lunch!
We moved about 2 streets over and I had to switch elementary schools (within our same school system/town) about 2 months into the school year.
I was super excited to buy my lunch my first day there!
I followed the line like I was told, but the lunch lady yelled at me anyway. :(
I was so upset that I didn't buy my lunch again.
And I am not just talking about in 1st grade.
I didn't buy my lunch again the entire time I was at that elementary school....
1st through 5th grade!!!
I finally decided to give it another try when I moved to the middle school in 6th grade.


Do you have any traumatic school lunch stories?
I would love to hear them!

Two more things before you go today...
Did you see the announcement on The Blended Blog Monday?
Eek!

And don't forget to enter to win the new Elena of Avalor DVD I'm giving away!



8 comments:

  1. My kids did not really like lunch meat until they got a little older. It looks like you're off to a great start planning lunches he'll like. That packable, freezable lunchbox is genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya! I am hoping it works as well as it sounds! I am still not a sandwich person so who knows with X! We shall see 😊

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a waffle/pancake. What kid wouldn't love that?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Of course this week of lunches hasn't panned out like I had hoped 😏 He eats so ealrethat he doesn't want lunch! Eek!

      Delete
  3. My kids love stuff like this! I love the idea of the waffle...adding that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look like great ideas! Does the lunch stay warm? I know you said he doesn't mind if it gets cold, so I guess you are good! I think my kids would prob not like cold eggs, but would prob eat cold pancakes or noodles. I pack lunch for my daughter sometimes and I always struggle with what to put in it. She does like just water in a thermos, so at least that is easy!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about keeping things warm. I saw some super cute thermos products at the store that you can use to keep things warm but I didn't pick them up. Check Target or Amazon.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2018 Vanessa Roberts