Slider

Show & Tell | Advice to HS self

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Linking up with Andrea @ Momfessionals for

Today we are giving advice to your high school selves.

So first up, here is who I am talking to...
That is me as a freshman in high school.

And here is me as a senior...


Looking at those last two pictures, I am wondering why we had to take pictures next to an extremely dirty wall! Twice! lol!

At first thought I am struggling to think of what advice I would give myself.
Honestly, I LOVED high school!
Favorite time of my life!
You hear a lot that you meet your best friends in college, but I made mine in high school.
Actually, I made mine way back in elementary school :)
Ok, so if I have to give myself some advice here it goes.

Don't be so nervous or scared all the time.
Kind of hard to tell my teenage self when I am still that way at 37 years old :/
I have always been a nervous nelly.
I can still remember feeling like I was going to pass out when I had to stand in front of the class and read a report.
Ugh! That was the worst!
I still struggle with that :(
But my advice would be, try not to sweat it.
Not many of those kids are paying attention anyways ;)

Have fun! Take a risk!
Being the nervous nelly that I was, I would hesitate and most the time say no to invites or dates.
If I heard there would be alcohol at a party or the parents weren't going to be there I didn't even think about going.
While I am proud of my teenage self for holding my ground, I could have still said yes to a few invites.
Wasn't like I was going to drink anyway.
I guess I just didn't want to even have to be around it.

One thing I wish I would have done in high school was try out for the drama club.
I so badly wanted to act and sing in the school plays, but was way too terrified to actually do it!
So I sat for four years in awe of the kids who had the guts to perform in front of the school/parents/etc.

While it is great that you have a ton of Brookside pride, you can venture of our SL.
I grew up in a pretty small town.
You are friends or at least know of everyone there it is that small.
SL was and still is a place I am proud to call home.
It breeds good, honest, down to earth people in my opinion.
But you can leave.
And people who aren't from SL or Brookside aren't bad...they are just different than you.
That is ok!
You can get to know them.
And you actually might like them!

And last, but certainly not least...
While some high school relationships last, yours does not have to.
Oh how I wish you know what I know ;)
Yes, there are quite a few people that I went to school with that went on to marry their high school sweetheart.
Good for you!
There are also quite a few that ended in divorce. #keepinitreal
And then there are those that thankfully grew apart and ended before any of that came about.
I fall into that last one.
Don't get me wrong, as every teenage girl does, I felt like my life was over!
I was never going to find someone.
Blah, blah, blah.
But life did go on.
And I did find someone.
And he is great!
And so is the little guy I have with him :)


#stillthankinggodforunansweredprayers

And there you have it!
What type of advice would you give your high school self?


3 comments:

  1. Aw I loved this so much, Vanessa! The advice you gave was great. Sounds like you were a smart cookie, and still are! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree on the take a risk...I was the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg I was such an anxious youth so I can totally relate to that!! Then I went completely nuts in university lol - more than made up for high school I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2018 Vanessa Roberts