Slider

Tie Dye My Way

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Today's Style My Way post is brought to you by home schooling art class ;)



I picked up this Tulip tie dye set from Walmart for about $22 (similar - 14 color set, 5 color set),



along with a couple white and black tees for X and I.

To be honest, I haven't tie dyed or puffy painted since I was his age.
While it was always fun, it was a bit messier than I really like to get.


A Few Tips
1. Clear a large space to work (I suggest doing it in your garage if you are able.)
2. Wear old clothes
3. Wear some sort of gloves (The set came with gloves, but they were way too big! I ended up with a lot of dye all over my hands.)
4. Have a plastic wrap, garbage bags, extra rubber bands, and paper towels on hand.


Now onto our shirts!

X decided he wanted to make a shirt with Ali A (YouTuber/Gamer) colors, and one with Preston's (another YouTuber/gamer) colors.

Despite the red, orange and yellow one being a bit small (we had to use an old tee he already had when he decided he wanted to make two), he absolutely loved making these shirts.
He couldn't wait for them to be washed and dried so he could wear one of them :)




I ended up mixing 8 of colors from the kit, so I decided to use most of them when I made my tee.





Because it was my first time making these tees I decided to go big (said in a very sarcastic tone) ;)
I did a reverse dye on the black tees.
What does that mean?
I prepped them just like I did the white tees, but then I had to use a bleach and water solution on them to get some lighter spots.
Once they processed and were washed and dried, they were ready for the colored dye.
This time I decided to make similar shirts for X and I both to commemorate our time at home together.
I used the purple and yellow (his school colors) to make our very own (and unique) Big Lex shirts!
He absolutely loved this tee too!
The black tees are way more time consuming if you decide to do them (you must let them sit overnight), but I love how they turned out.





And here is a better look at my two tees.


I wasn't sure if they would shrink or not with all that washing and drying, so I bought them a bit over-sized.

Don't want to buy the dye, but still want to make your own #StayHome2020 tees?
Grab a colored tee, tie it up with some rubber bands, and spray some bleach on it.
Let it set for about 30-60 minutes, and then wash and dry.
Viola!
Your very own tie dye tee/sweatshirt!
Easy peasy!

Are you doing anything creative to remember being at home during this time?
Have you tie dyed anything yet?
Do you like the tie dye trend?

Honestly, I'm not a big tie dye fan but I do think it is fun during the summer months.

Now it's your turn to share your style posts below!

Thanks as always for stopping by today!


XOXO ~ Vanessa

Linking up with the Style Six ladies and Nancy's Fashion Style.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. The black tees are my favorite - I love the look of the reverse tie dye! I haven't done this in years, it looks like y'all had fun!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They turned out so good! We will definitely be doing the reverse dye again!

      Delete
  2. We've done tie dying a few times; we tend to save it for summer and make our mess outside rather than inside. Your shirts came out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, outside or in a garage would be best! I think we will be making more soon for summer!

      Delete
  3. That black tee is so darn cute! We have not made any but this looks so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Carly have to make some now! You need some mom/daughter shirts! Or even family tees!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2018 Vanessa Roberts