Slider

Healthy Life

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Making changes in life is hard.
Making changes to your eating habits is extremely hard!


I honestly don't eat that bad, I just have a horrible time realizing I have had way too much :(
Some days I can have a few bites of something and be full,
but other days I feel like I must finish every last bite - Hello Chipotle burrito :(

One of my goals for this year was to eat healthier,
and that includes Mic and X too!
Thankfully, Mic has agreed to eat whatever I decide to make for dinner and such
....X doesn't really have a choice yet ;)

Here are some of the key items I will be switching out or changing in our meals...

Whole grains instead of white bread or pasta
Brown rice instead of white
Lean proteins instead of heavy steaks and such
More veggies! We already like them, so let's eat more of them!
More water, less pop or coffee
(see easy recipe below for tasty water)
Use smaller plates to cut down on our portions
Eat slower!!!

I will also be adding a daily 30 minute workout of some sort to the mix 
-- family dance party, a little treadmill action, my Skinnygirl yoga DVD, etc.


I mentioned here briefly that I joined a site called DietBet.
It IS my motivation!
You bet on yourself to lose weight, maintain weight, etc.
The game I joined began on January 5th and was $25 to join.
I figured that putting money towards my goals would keep me invested in my goals.
Bonus: If you lose 4% of your starting weight in 28 days, you win your money back...and then some! Sweet deal! Who doesn't want to win money and be get healthy?
It isn't too late to join either! Click here to bet on yourself and join the fun!

Wish me luck! :)

I am hoping to check in on the blog each week with an update on 
how I am doing, meals I have made, etc.

So for now I will start you off with an easy way to get your 8 glasses a day :)

Naturally Flavored Water

I first purchased a fruit infusion water pitcher at Target (similar here). My exact one doesn't show up online, but I picked it up for $15 and it holds up to 80oz. of water I believe.

In the center of the pitcher is a column that you place chunks of fruit (your choice). Fill the pitcher with water and let chill for about 2 hours. 
Pour yourself a glass of delicious water and enjoy! :)

Don't have a fruit infusion pitcher?
No problem!
You can still make flavored water in a regular pitcher :)
Cut fruit into larger pieces to avoid chunks pouring into your water glass.
That's it!

I have already made strawberry water and cucumber water and they both were excellent! 
Trying out the Skinnymom recipe found here now.


Bonus Recipe

Shrimp Stir-Fry

I made this for dinner on Sunday night and it was excellent!

Let me start off by telling you that I have never made a stir-fry before in my life, 
nor do I eat shrimp.
That sounds like a great recipe to try Vanessa! lol!
I pushed myself to try something new (Hello 2014 Goals!) and it turned out great!
I even liked the shrimp!!!
It was super easy and super quick to make!

Here is what you will need (2 person meal)...
10 medium sized shrimp
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup mushrooms
1-2 cups broccoli
Reduced sodium soy sauce
Canola Oil (or oil of your choice)
Brown rice

Directions
Pour a few tablespoons of oil in a wok or skillet and bring to a medium-high heat. Saute the peppers, onions, mushrooms, and broccoli in the oil for about 5-10 minutes over medium heat. Add the shrimp and lightly cook until done.
Serve over brown rice (my rice cooked along side the wok and finished at the same time) with soy sauce.

Even X tried the shrimp! 


How do you get your family to eat healthy?
Any recipes that I must try?

Playing along again today with Lisa and Kristen for


Showered With Design


The topic is...When is your birthday?

For all new readers (thanks for joining me) my birthday is 

December 16th

You can read how I celebrated here :)

Also joining the 
 photo BlogHopButtonFinal_zps99116d5e.png



Don't forget to follow me on TwitterPinterestInstagram, and Bloglovin!


post signature

12 comments:

  1. I am doing this too, I just told B last night we need to start meal planning! I have that last 10 lbs of baby weight still hanging around I want to rid...

    Let me know what you think of that video!!! I do yoga thru an ipad app right now, but would love something new...


    Oh, I love those fruit infusion bottles!!! PS try some cucumber in your water too. its really good and refreshing!

    I am hoping on Sundays or Mondays to post our meals for the week to keep myself accountable along w. in a planner. We are starting to keep out chocolate and other junk foods in the house and get more healthy snacks- Chocolate is my weakness...if its in the house, I will eat it

    Breanna is still super picky but she is FINALLY starting to eat chicken nuggets and fish sticks but girl definitely loves peas and corn and fruit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made the cucumber and it is really good too! I just tried grapefruit, lemon, cucumber, and lime.....not for me :( but of course it is really good for detoxing!
      Thankfully I am not a huge chocolate lover, but I could easily down a bowl of popcorn that feeds 6! lol!
      Actually just made a garlic version last night and it was really good! Healthy and I forced myself to only have a normal sized portion! lol!
      X was a really good eater from the start, but now will only eat fruits, veggies, and mac-n-cheese :(

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to be healthier too, have been since the beginning of December. so far, so good for me! good luck to you! that shrimp stir-fry sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like shrimp, but I don't know how to cook them lol! Like, do I have to chop off their tails if I buy them at the grocery? UGH! ;) That recipe sounds delicious though so if you tell me it's easy, I'll make it!!

    I also drink a ton of water but I still sneak in mt. dew too, ugh! Desperately trying to kick that habit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have no idea how to cook shrimp! lol! Mic loves them, so I just asked him when he thought they were done :) I bought the frozen ones from Kroger that are already deveined, deshelled and detailed :). All I did was thaw them under cold water for about 5 minutes or so and they were ready to go. They cooked for maybe 5 minutes, if that!
      I don't mind drinking water all the time, but I get headaches still if I don't have a bit of caffeine every now and then. I try to stick to hot tea or hot chocolate as my treat/caffeine mix :)

      Delete
  4. Eating healthy is hard for me! In a big city, I'm just surrounding by fast food crap and I want to eat all of it! I love your swaps though, that's smart. And family dance party, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! While I don't live in a big city, I have a pretty nice exit off 71 less than 2 miles from me! Chipotle, McD's, Taco Bell, you name it! I drive past it every night and have to force myself to go home! Crock pot meals have become very good friends :)
      Family dance parties are the best!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for linkin' up!
    Yum the shrimp sounds so good!

    showeredwithdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vanessa. I also like lemon slices with fresh mint in my water. It is very refreshing and a bunch of fresh mint is really cheap.

    I am trying to cook healthier too this year. That means I am meal planning for the week on Sundays so that I can shop. I already found 3 recipes that were successful and I spent less at the grocery. Double bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually making mint, lemon, and cucumber water this evening :)

      Mealing planning really is any easy way to save money! Glad it is working for you too! What recipes have you tried?

      Hope to see you and Jeff more this year :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2018 Vanessa Roberts