Slider

Vacation ~ Days 1-3 & #xvsdailylife2014 Week 26

Thursday, July 10, 2014

This year we combined something old with something new.

Old: We went to Myrtle Beach
New: We stayed in the northern tip of North Myrtle Beach

We also went with friends this year instead of family.
While there were definitely parts of the vacation that were similar to prior years, 
we did experience some new things as well due to our location.

{day 1}
Mic, X, and I started our drive down to South Carolina on a Friday morning. Since we have an active toddler, and we don't like to be so exhausted that we can't enjoy our first day on vacation we break up the drive. (Yes, that was a bit of a run on sentence. Oh well!)
 Warning! Sunglasses may appear larger in photo than in real life. lol!
Stopped for lunch and of course we had to play in the rocks! :)
#boymom

The first stretch took us to Winston Salem, NC for the evening.
Mic and I actually stopped there a few years ago and I just love it there.
This time we stayed at the Historic Brookstown Inn.
It is an awesome brick building redone on the inside with super spacious rooms.
Bonus: You receive free drinks at Happy Hour and then milk and warm cookies are served in the late evening.
Brookstown was awesome in every way.
 These photos don't do this room justice. It was super cool!
And this bathroom and tub were enormous!
Mic was able to actually fit in the tub! All 6'6" of him!

We enjoyed dinner in downtown Winston Salem at The Old Fourth Street Filling Station.
It was such a nice evening that I should have chose to eat outside. Oh well!
The inside was full of exposed brick walls, dark wooden booths, etc.
Really, you couldn't go wrong with a seat on the inside either.
I enjoyed a delicious dish of tri-color tortellini with mushrooms and a creamy parmesan sauce.
Mic actually had the same dish, but kept the caramelized onions and roasted red peppers.
I think I need to recreate this dish!

{day 2}
We woke up from what felt like a heavenly sleep, had our free breakfast (I am all about the free breakfast!), and hit the road to North Myrtle Beach!

We arrived about 3 1/2 hours later and we were able to check in to our condo immediately.
THAT RARELY HAPPENS!!!
We checked out our view from the balcony and such, and then headed to one of the best and cheapest places in NMB....Hamburger Joe's!
This is the first stop for my family when arriving in NMB!
I can't even tell you how many years we have gone here, but it has been A LOT!!
I of course had my go to cheeseburger, while Mic ordered one of his and my dad's favorites, the golden wings.
X downed two hot dogs and loved looking out the windows and at all the dollar bills on the walls.
Side note: If you like fried bologna sandwiches and $1 draft beer, this is the spot for you...I am told -- from my dad :)
 Looking over our balcony :)


After eating we headed back to the condo to meet up with one of two families who had arrived.
We unloaded our luggage, relaxed for a bit, and then headed out to dinner at Flynn's Irish Tavern before hitting up the local Kroger.
Side note: That was the busiest I have ever seen a grocery store in all of my years going to Myrtle Beach. CRAZY!!!

At Flynn's I ordered the Shepherd's Pie...which I hate to say this, but mine is actually better. Mic agreed :)
X was a MONSTER while we were there to say the least :(

{day 3}
Since the day before was so screwy with eating, unloading, etc. we never actually made it to the beach :(
It was actually sprinkling on and off so I guess it wasn't a big deal.
Sunday morning our friends headed to church, Mic headed to the airport to pick up the 3rd family in the mix, and X and I chilled back at the condo.
I did manage to take X all by myself, well with the other family, to the beach while we waited for Mic and friends to return.
To say X loved the beach and the ocean would be an understatement!
He was in absolute heaven throwing sand, being out in the waves with Mic or I, and just running around and splashing in the water!
His face and smile made the week for me!


We headed back for lunch, but all X wanted to do was take a nap.
If fact, he took a 3 1/2 almost 4 hour nap!!!
That night we headed out to dinner at Barefoot Landing.
We had planned to go to The Flying Fish Public Market & Grill, but when we arrived and they quoted an almost 2 hour wait we looked for other options.
We ended up eating at Smokin' Hot Grill & BBQ.
Honestly, not my first choice but there wasn't a wait and they were handing out 15% off coupons.
So we went with it.
I love Barbecue...I did not like this place. The food was so-so, and my pulled pork was dry :(
We sat out on the back deck and had a great view of the water.
However, that meant my child wanted to be down my the water and boats instead of sitting at the table....sensing a theme here?
Thankfully there was only one other table of people outside so it wasn't too terrible.
And my Southern Sweet Tea Cocktail wasn't too bad :)





Stay tuned for days 4-10 coming soon.

And now more pictures!

Week 26
 Day 183 ~ #thisiswhatwedoforfun


 Day 184 ~ Yummy breakfast at Panera with my love :)


 Day 185 ~ Swimming & good food at Grammy & P's for the 4th!


Day 186 ~ X loved playing with this kitchen! He kept saying "Mmm, Delicious!"
#addingthistothechristmaslist


 Day 187 ~ Pa came to visit!


 Day 188 ~ It is the little things that make my day :)
#takesmeback #wayback


Day 189 ~ My jeans arrived and I am in love!!!
Thanks Sheaffer for the rec! I can't wait to wear them!




5 comments:

  1. looking at those food pictures makes me so hungry after a long night shift lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me want to take a vacay SO bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh love those jeans! I'm not sure I can muster up the courage though, can't wait to see them on you. So fun going on vacation with other families. We need to organize this with my friends :) Can't wait to see your other vacation days. Also: whenever a restaurant is handing out flyers/discounts to come eat right now, that probably means it's going to be a so-so restaurant. We learned that while in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to see the pictures from the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom has a timeshare in North Myrtle Beach and she goes in October. Two years ago I went with her. I think I hit Barefoot Landing 3 times that week! We did eat at Flying Fish one night - it was delish. I might be going with her again this year if the stars align.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2018 Vanessa Roberts