Slider

What's wrong with me?

Monday, July 30, 2018


Last fall I noticed a few things that were out of sorts for me.
An overload of stress.
Excessive weight gain.
Extremely tired all the time.
Extra moody.
Etc., etc., etc.
Honestly, the list goes on and on.

No matter how much I worked out and ate right, things just weren't changing.
Of course adding even more stress.
I decided to go to the doctor to see if we could figure out what was going on.

After some blood work, an EKG, and such everything appeared as though I am in perfect health.
At that point my family doctor thought it was best to try a low dose anxiety medication.
Since I felt like I was at my whit's end I was willing to try anything.

In the beginning I did notice a slight change in my mood.
Things that would normally get me extremely worked up, didn't bother me as much.
However, new things started to arise.
Night sweats!
Holy moly!
This is a serious side effect and highly annoying!

Other side effects...
Even more exhausted feeling than before, yet can't sleep through the night.
And excessive yawning all day long.
Along with a few other things.

I kept my workouts up, and continued to be very mindful of what I was eating.
Now don't get me wrong, that didn't mean that I was going to just cut out all fun things!


So from late September to now I have been on this anxiety medication.
And while this particular medication isn't supposed to cause weight gain, I have continued to gain weight.
Without going into all the details, I am currently a few pounds away from my 9 month pregnancy weight!!!
That scares the crap out of me!
And my body feels it!
The aches and pains, the sore joints, etc.


I know I am getting older, but this is nuts!
Even the clothes I just bought in early June for my girls trip don't fit me right now!
Seriously!
Cue even more stress :(

So I decided to get a few more things checked out after hearing a few other ladies talk about having thyroid issues, and even testosterone issues.

Side note: I contacted my family doctor about running more tests and they questioned me on why I thought I needed them.
I explained what was going on, and they still questioned the idea of the getting more blood work.
That was very strange to me.

So this time I headed to my OB/GYN to get a second opinion on the matter.
They ran some more extensive blood work for me and the results are in...

Nothing is wrong.

WHAT???

They stated that things look to be in "normal" ranges.
(I look at these levels and they don't all seem to be in the normal range to me, but what do I know?)
Everything except my Vitamin D which is really low.
Not terribly surprising since I sit in an office with no windows most of the day,
and this summer working from home I am still cooped up :/

Other than that....nothing.

I am so confused!
And I have no idea what to do next.

She did mention possibly getting tested for allergies since one of the symptoms I have is a sore throat.
I have had this sore throat since early fall.

Silly side note: You know how I can tell something isn't right with my voice/throat?
When I sing in the car my voice goes out.
Like hoarse goes out.
This has been for months!!!!



After these blood results came back my doctor mentioned maybe I would want to get allergy testing since the throat deal doesn't seem to go away.
Other than that I am left with a ton of questions still.

Has anyone else been through this?
Do/did you have any of the same symptoms? If so, how are you handling them?
Any other suggestions for me?

My plan as of right now is to continue working out each day,
eating small portions/healthy eating, etc.
My weaknesses are pasta and salty things, but I have really limited those.

So for now I guess I need to just come to grips with the fact that I am just getting older,
and not able to get in shape/lose weight like I used to despite having all these symptoms that don't make sense :(
That is definitely a hard reality to face.


8 comments:

  1. I am having the same kind of issues - at least some of them - and mine are due to pre-menopause. It truly sucks so far so I cant even imagine what menopause will be like! Good luck - I hope you find answers! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that! It is so frustrating to have to go through! Thank you! I hope things improve for you!

      Delete
  2. Hope you're able to get answers! Stinks not knowing exactly what's wrong. I have low Vitamin D too. I take a pill daily for it. I'm also on anti-anxiety meds. As far as those go, sometimes it takes switching them around until you find the right one. One anti-anxiety med may work for one person but not for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra! I am slowly wasing my way off the meds, because I never really feel I needed it. I have always been able to control stress through working out. My biggest issue is the unexplained weight gain and extreme exhaustion 😒

      Delete
  3. I have heard that B12 is something many people need? Just grasping at straws here. Have you thought about visiting an acupuncturist, or a non-traditional, non-western medicine person? Chiropractor, too, could help. I also think the allergy issue could be something. That seems weird to have a sore throat for that long. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am starting to look into other alternatives at this point. Looking at supplements and maybe going gluten free to see if that helps.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© 2018 Vanessa Roberts